When it comes to your engagement session, there’s no doubt, you will treasure your engagement photos for many years. But preparing for these photos can feel a bit overwhelming. I’m here to share 4 tips (plus a few more) on how to best prepare for your engagement photos. Keep scrolling to learn everything you need to know to look and feel your best during your engagement session.
1. Research Inspiration
If you don’t already have a Pinterest board for inspiration, make one! You can even make a date night out of it with your partner, order some takeout, open Pinterest, and start pinning. This can be a fun way to find the types of poses you both like and even learn more about more partner’s personality. Finding your inspiration and establishing the type of session you want will help the next steps fall into place.
2. Pick a Location
Where you choose to take your engagement photos is a great way to show your story as a couple. Consider taking them where you went on your first date, or your favorite date spot. The place you choose will determine the main color scheme of your photos, for example, if you’re leaning more towards neutrals try an outdoor spot like a park or the beach! Most times, your photographer will help you pick a spot, so be sure to chat with them about their favorite spots!
3. Be Mindful of Your Outfit Choices
The biggest thing to remember when picking your outfit for engagement photos is the place you chose. Choose colors in your outfit that complement your surroundings. Bring different outfits! Bringing multiple outfits is a great way to add some variety to your engagement photos, especially if you’re only at one location. Make sure to let your photographer know how many outfits you plan on bringing because this can affect how long your session will take. When your partner is choosing their outfit try to stay within the same color palette and choose colors that will complement your outfit.
4. Plan your day
This is your day! You only get to take engagement pictures once, so make sure to make a day of it. Try to have the whole day off to spend with your partner. Plan to get a meal before or after your session. Not only will this help make you feel more comfortable once you get to the session, it will also be a great memory to hold onto. You’re only engaged for a short amount of time, but it is such an exciting, stressful, joyful, overwhelming, and wonderful time! Make the most of it every opportunity you get.
Scroll down for a few more rapid-fire tips!
Rapid fire tips:
– Get your ring cleaned a few days before, most jewelry stores will do this for free!
– If you’re getting your hair done professionally for your wedding, consider scheduling your consultation the morning of your shoot so you can have your hair looking flawless in the engagement photos
– Don’t forget to eat! Being hungry during your session will only make you more uncomfortable, even just bringing a snack will help you feel your best so you can look your best!
– Bring comfy shoes. If you’re planning on wearing heels for the photos, it’s always a good idea to bring backup shoes to change into when we’re not shooting.
– Be yourself! The point of this session is to show your personality as a couple. Don’t just try to recreate the inspirational photos you found, make it your own!
– Don’t forget the ring box and any other details you want to be photographed. Detail photos don’t have to wait until the wedding, bring any sentimental pieces you want to be included in your session.
I hope you liked this post! If you’re looking for a photographer to capture your engagement session or special day, reach out to me!