Choosing a wedding photographer is a big wedding planning task. These will be photos that you will cherish for the rest of your life, that’s a big deal! It is so important to find a photographer that not only shoots and edits in a style that you love, but that you also get along with. You will spend a lot of time with your wedding photographer during your wedding day, you want them to add joy to the day, not take it away.
There are so many important questions to ask your photographer before hiring them, here’s my list of 20 questions that I think are vital to know the answers to before signing that contract.
1. Can I see a whole gallery of a previous wedding you photographed?
2. Is my wedding date available?
3. Will you be the only one shooting at my wedding? If not, can I meet the other photographer who will be on-site?
4. How long have you been shooting weddings? How many weddings have you photographed?
5. Do you often shoot weddings that have a similar size and style to the one we are planning?
6. Have you ever shot a wedding at our ceremony and reception venues? If not, do you plan to check the venues out in advance?
7. Have you ever worked with our planner? Videographer? Florist? DJ?
8. How would you describe your working style? Do you prefer to blend into the background to capture candid moments, or do you like to be more visible and take charge to choreograph images?
9. Do you include engagement photos in your packages? What about pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
10. Can I customize a package to fit my needs?
11. How many hours are included in each package? How much do extra hours cost?
12. Do you charge a travel fee? For what distance?
13. Can we order prints or albums directly from you?
14. How long after the wedding will we receive the images? How will they be delivered?
15. How much of a deposit do you require? When is it due?
16. What is your refund or cancellation policy?
17. Do you have liability insurance? Does it cover your assistants, as well?
18. What is the backup plan if you are unable to shoot my wedding for an unexpected reason?
19. How do you back up your photos?
20. Can we request a list of specific shots we would like?
I hope this list makes finding the perfect photographer a less daunting task. I am here to answer any and all of these questions, reach out and let’s chat about me photographing your wedding.